2009/03/26

Weaving.4

And now I have learned how to Norse wire weave (also known as Viking knitting, but I feel that is a misnomer, since the term could also apply to naalbinding. However I have also seen this called wire naalbinding, so it's all related). Unfortunately I don't have any photos of what I've done, since the chains I've made are very small and very shiny, which makes them difficult to photograph. I have been using 28-gauge silver wire. I'm not very good, my chains are all twisty and uneven, but they become pretty and even out when I draw them out (through a drawplate, not like with a pencil).

I'd like to link you to the most helpful tutorial I looked at, but apparently I learned from it just in the nick of time, since the page is now defunct. Sors. So instead I will just post a photo of someone else's weaving so you can appreciate how pretty this craft is.



I want to try this out with thicker wire, just to see the difference. Although I would rather spend my time tablet weaving, at this point this is more useful, since we don't have any chains to make jewelry with. I'd also like to try making a beaded chain, though of course I wouldn't be able to draw it out, so that will have to wait until I'm capable of making my chains looks nice and even (also I don't have any seed beads). I think that would be really pretty, if I could pull it off.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a cached copy of the tutorial available? (I.e. through Google?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:dmQl3z14TJ0J:www.jomsb.org/Dirk/Trichinopoly/Trichinopoly.htm+Trichinopoly&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

    Unfortunately the images don't seem to work, and that's the most important part.

    ReplyDelete