2011/08/23

Bub.

After four months of knowing what I need to write, but not being able to think hard enough to be able to do it, I've finally come up with something. I got kind of stuck because I have to write a bunch of pseudo-rom-com stuff, and that's really difficult for me. But now I've got something. Not all the scenes that I need to write, but something.



EDIT: I've replaced the songs I had originally written in with some public domain songs that work just as well. I wasn't in love with using the other songs, just hadn't done the research yet.


INT. Swing club - night

Eric is onstage, crooning weakly and off-key. The club is pretty full, but most people are sitting and standing around. A few on the dance floor are attempting to make the best of this sad excuse for music. The band sits on the stage behind Eric, looking bored.

ERIC
Give me, give me, give me what I cry for, you know you got the brand of kisses that I’d die for. You know you made me love you. You know you made me love you.

Bub makes his way through the crowd to Marsha, who is at the soundboard.

BUB
You're doing karaoke now?

MARSHA
It's experimental. The outcome so far has been underwhelming.

Bub laughs. Marsha gives a wry smile.

As Eric finishes singing, there is some unenthusiastic, polite applause.

ERIC
That was for my babe.

Quinn, who is among the sitting crowd, bites her lip and glances to the side.

Marsha speaks into the microphone at the sound board.

MARSHA
Alright, thank you. That's the end of the karaoke hour, try again next week.

Eric sits down next to Quinn, Quinn quickly gets up without looking at him and walks away.

MARSHA
And now give it up for our band, the Hinkyjinks!

The crowd applauds more excitedly as a HOT SINGER, who looks like she stepped straight out the forties, takes the stage and the DRUMMER does a drumroll. The band begins playing CURSE OF AN ACHING HEART.

Bub looks out into the crowd, his attention suddenly riveted to something.

BUB
Excuse me.

Spencer, wearing a lovely vintage dress, stands in a small group. Bub approaches her from behind. The group stops chatting and looks at him. Spencer turns around, an eyebrow quirked, then smirks when she sees Bub.

SPENCER
So, we meet again at last.

BUB
Ready to dance?

SPENCER
Are you?

Bub offers her his right hand. She takes it and he spins her out as the Hot Singer starts.

HOT SINGER
You made me think you cared for me, and I believed in you. You told me things you never meant and made me think them true. I gambled in the game of life. I played my heart and lost. I'm now a wreck upon life's sea, alone I pay the cost.

Bub and Spencer dance some simple swing with a few spins and that kind of stuff.

SPENCER
That's the best you can do?

As the next verse starts, Bub kicks it up to triple step, with more aggressive and advanced moves. Spencer is easily keeping up.

HOT SINGER
You made me what I am today! I hope you're satisfied. You dragged and dragged me down until the soul within me died. You shattered each and every dream; fooled me right from the start. And though you're not true, may God bless you. That's the curse of an aching heart!

The band goes into a hot instrumental to end the song and Bub spins Spencer faster, does several lifts, and eventually ends by spinning her in and holding her against his chest, their faces inches apart.

They pause, breathing heavily. Then Spencer spins herself out.

SPENCER
That was pretty hot. I thought I was going to kick you in the face.

She lets go of his hand and walks away.

Quinn comes up to Bub and softly punches his shoulder.

QUINN
Hey flatfoot, you never dance like that with me.

Bub is staring off after Spencer.

BUB
Yeah...

Bub walks away.

EXT. SWING CLUB - NIGHT

Spencer is standing outside, running her hands through her hair, looking up at the sky. Bub walks quickly towards her.

BUB
It's dangerous for you to be out like this.

Spencer turns half towards him. She takes the bobby pins out of her mouth and pins her hair back up.

SPENCER
What's it to you?

BUB
Someone broke into your house to try to murder you.

Spencer shrugs.

BUB
Even if you're not concerned for your life, I'm the detective working on this case and it would look pretty bad if I let you get killed.

SPENCER
Oh no, of course, what was I thinking! Your career is at stake, how inconsiderate of me to try to have a life!

BUB
You should be trying to preserve your life.

Spencer looks at him for a moment, then shrugs again and walks back into the club. Bub watches her go, his jaw tense.

1 comment: