The yarn is wool. Brown is from Peru, which I purchased on sale at Kamille's in Gardner village. White is from Iceland, and I got it for Christmas.
I changed my technique a little bit. I did it exactly the same way I do Norse wire weaving (which has also been called wire naalbinding), except that I shaped it like a sock instead of a long thin tube. And I just did it in the air, not around a dowel. I'm sure most of you have no idea what I mean. But anyway, this tiny change made a huge difference. As you can see, the resulting textile looks exactly like knitting, and it's also quite stretchy. My first sock is rather holey because I could stretch it around my foot without increasing stitches, but soon I figured out that increasing stitches makes a denser textile, without making it a ton bigger (unless you add a LOT of stitches) which is good for wool socks.
I have a lot of the yarn left, so I think I'll make another, longer, pair. I also want to make some sandals or boots with this black hemp that I have, using the more holey stitch, and sew on a leather sole. Those would be some pretty sweet summer shoes, I think.
Are you making some for sale???
ReplyDeleteNot yet. I'll time my next sock to see if I can figure out a reasonable price.
ReplyDeleteOk. Keep me in the loop, pls.
ReplyDeleteHeh heh heh. No pun intended.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I will end up selling any. It doesn't seem like I could make any profit off it.
ReplyDeleteSad day... but I understand.
ReplyDelete