2010/12/25

Ideas: Potions.

Sodas based on potions. Carbonated with dry ice, of course. Wikihow says to use 1-2 pounds of dry ice per gallon, and to let it carbonate for 15 minutes per gallon before removing the dry ice and sealing the container.

An asterik indicates that the potion was not described very much or at all in the books, so I decided to make up how it would look and/or taste.

And of course, this is only good for liquid potions, not powders, pastes, gases, and solids.


Felix Felicis: ginger, apple, pineapple, lemon

Amortentia: rose and vanilla with a hint of raspberry. Maybe add some of the shiny stuff they put on wedding cakes for the mother-of-pearl sheen.

Veritaserum: lemon

Polyjuice Potion: I ended up doing a banana-orange type shake... not sure if I'm really pleased with it, but that's what I have so far.

*Blood-Replenishing Potion: beets

*Beautifying Potion: lavender, lemon, honey

*Boil Cure Potion: kiwi. When done wrong, the potion produces acid green smoke, and it causes red boils. I figure green cancels out red.

*Calming Draught: lavender, chamomile, passionfruit

Doxycide: This is supposed to be black, so I'm thinking a root-beer type flavor that's heavy on the black licorice/fennel. Not sure about the other ingredients, so I'll tentatively say vanilla, molasses, wintergreen, and clove; but it will take experimentation. Will probably have to use food coloring in this one.

Elixir to Induce Euphoria: pineapple, honey, orange, large tapioca pearls

*Fire Protection Potion: spearmint, wintergreen, peppermint, mint, and pretty much any other kind of mint you can find.

*Invigoration Draught: ginger, pomegranate, pineapple, lemon

*Elixir of Life: cucumber (peeled), white grape. I want something very light for this, and not too sweet.

Draught of Living Death: vanilla and lemon? (it needs to be clear like water)

*Mandrake Draught: carrot (because the more mundane, less anthropomorphic mandrakes look like mutant carrots), strawberry (for sweetness and blood color). For some reason I don't want to use real mandrake in this, probably because I have no idea what it tastes like and what its effects are.

*Draught of Peace: beets, passionfruit, cucumber

*Pepperup Potion: peppermint, ginger, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper

Shrinking Solution: lime, kiwi, white grape, cucumber (unpeeled). This needs to be acid green colored.

*Skelegro: cayenne, lime, pineapple

Sleeping Potion: purple grape, passionfruit

*Strengthening Solution: strawberry, apple, beet (only a little for blood color), lime (only a little for metallic blood taste)

*Wit-Sharpening Potion: ginger, lemon, honey, vanilla

Wound-Cleaning Potion: purple grape, beet, lemon, black pepper


Well, it's obvious that I really like ginger, peppermint, and honey. I had a surprisingly hard time coming up with different fruit combinations, actually. I'll have to revisit this when I'm less tired.

1 comment: